Home page > Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who can apply for a visa?
The application for a visa to Italy in VMS visa center can be submitted by:
• Russian citizens
• Foreign citizens with the provision of documents confirming their legal residence in Russia
The citizens registered in St. Petersburg, Murmansk, Pskov, Arkhangelsk, Vologda, Veliky Novgorod and the relevant regions as well as the Republic of Karelia should apply for a visa to the Visa application center in St. Petersburg, as well as to the branch of the North-West region. More information you can find on the link.
2. Where and how can I pay a visa fee?
When applying in Moscow VMS office Tretyakovskaya a visa fee can be paid at the branches of JSC “Bank Intesa” located in VMS office Tretyakovskaya. The payments are made by cash only (in rubles, dollars or euros).
When applying in Moscow VMS office Kievskaya a visa fee can be paid at the VMS office directly. The payments are accepted in cash or by credit & debit cards (in rubles).
The visa fees can be alternatively be paid at some following branches of JSC “Bank Intesa”:
Moscow, “Zatsepa, 24″
Moscow, “Sadovaya-Chernogryazskaya, 16″
Moscow, “Bolshoy Gnezdnikovskiy, 1″
3. In case of a visa refusal, would the visa / service fee be refunded?
Both visa and service fees are non-refundable in case of visa refusal.
4. Can a hotel reservation made through any booking portal?
It is possible to provide a detailed hotel reservation from any booking site. Name of hotel, address and telephone number, duration of the intended stay, surname and first name of all the visa applicants must be mentioned.
If the stay is planned for several hotels, the booking for all the hotels for the entire stay is to be provided at the time of submission of documents.
5. What are the requirements for a foreign passport?
The passport must be valid for at least 3 months after the visa expiry date, contain at least 2 blank pages (adjacent pages) and be issued not later than 10 years ago.
6. Can I stay in Italy more than dates of validity of my visa?
You must leave the country no later than the dates of validity of visa.
7. The allowed number of days has already been used but the visa is still valid. Is it possible to apply for a new visa?
Only if the number of days shown on visa is less than 90 days. The Schengen Visa type C entitles the holder to stay in Schengen countries maximum 90 days within a period of 6 months. If all 90 days have been used it is not possible to obtain a new visa until its expiry date.
8. In my passport I have valid Schengen visa. Is it possible to apply for a new one?
If a valid Schengen visa is multiple and its date of validity is earlier/ ends later it is possible to apply for a new visa (in case 90 days of stay/180 days period haven’t been used.
9. If I am planning to visit several Schengen countries during one trip, to which consulate should I apply for a visa?
If you plan to visit several Schengen countries during one trip, visa should be issued by the Consulate of the country of main destination.
If several stays of the same length in various Schengen States are planning, visa should be applied at the Consulate of the country of the first port of entry into the Schengen Area.
10. The application form should be printed with one-side printing or double side printing?
The application form can be printed in both ways. Both one-side printing and double side printing can be used.
11. Is the minor required to be present at the VMS visa center?
All applicants aged 12 and over applying for a Schengen visa have to undergo the procedure of providing biometric identifiers (fingerprints). According to this it’s necessary to appear in person at the visa application centers.
If a minor is under 12, the presence is not required.
12. What are requirements for the consent for processing personal data?
A separate form of the consent for processing personal data in original is required for each applicant including minors. The document is to be provided in Russian language only. The document should be filled on behalf of the minor by one of the minor’s parents or legal guardian, whose personal data and signature should be mentioned in relevant fields.
13. If a trip to another country is planned before the trip to Italy, would it be possible to apply for the visa now?
Documents can be submitted not earlier than 90 days before the trip.
If you plan any other trip or you need to fly before your departure to Italy and you need the visa by a certain deadline it’s necessary to provide additional documents such as copies of your tickets, hotel bookings in the country/ countries you are going to visit.
14. The valid visa ends in the middle of the trip. How can I apply for the new one?
In case the valid visa is multiple and 90 days of stay/180 days period haven’t been used, you can apply for a new visa as usual.
15. I have a valid Schengen visa issued by the Consulate of another Schengen country, but it hasn’t used before. May I use this visa for entry to Italy?
It is the discretion of border control.