Home page  >  Documents for Moscow > Elective residence visa

Elective residence visa

To apply for all categories of visa «D» all documents  must be translated into Italian. Translations must be done by the translators accredited by the Consulate General  Of Italy in Moscow and legalized by the Consulate General itself, otherwise must be notarized and apostilled. The documents in English aren’t required to be translated.

Documents can be submitted:

– in person (or accompanied by a legal advisor)
– by one of the family members with the documents confirming a relationship: parents for children,  adult children for parents with childrens’ birth certificate (original and copy or an authenticated copy), for spouses -  marriage certificate (original and copy or an authenticated copy); in case surname was changed, additional supporting documents should be provided (for example: marriage certificate or certificate of changing name) (or accompanied by a legal advisor).

1. Application form type D

2. Photo (of established format) – 1 pcs. For details…

3. Travel document  valid for at least 3 months after the date of the visa expiry. Photocopy of the passport itself and any previous passports (pages with personal data and all pages with stamps or visas). For details…

4. Personal declaration and any supporting documents which confirm that the applicant is actually going to settle in Italy.

5. Documents that show that the applicant has significant autonomous, stable and regular economic income, continuity and availability of which can be guaranteed for the future.

This income must come from possession of significant annuity, from ownership of real estate, from ownership of stable economic or commercial business activities or from other sources (except employment, which should be regularly done on the territory of the Russian Federation): real property rent, shares or debt securities, income from financial and commercial activities, pensions, annuities, shares in mutual investment funds.

As one of the requirements to apply for this kind of visa is that its holder should settle in Italy, it is not possible to take into account applicant’s income from subordinate work or self-employed work, if it is interrupted by moving to Italy.

Economic resources (income) that do not belong to the applicant directly, can be taken into account and evaluated in every single case, only if this income is provided by the applicant’s close family member who lives with the applicant.

The amount of income should be not less than 2.580 Euro per person per month (triple annual amount specified in the Table A attached to the decree of the Ministry of the Interior dated 1 March 2000). This amount of income should be considered as a minimum income and should be evaluated in context of economic situation of the applicant, taking into account the final purpose of the elective residence visa which is aimed at people with high and stable economic income.

It is necessary to notice, that income received from the above mentioned sources must be clearly reflected in the bank statements of the applicants for the last 12 months with the indication of the reasons for the payment. This income should also be reflected in the tax returns of its owner.

All the documents and contracts (e.g. participation share of the company, rent contracts to real property etc.) should be provided in original and accompanied by the translation. Public acts must be apostilled.

This Consulate General is competent only on the territory of its own consular district and is not entitled to evaluate facts, circumstances and conditions which take place in other countries except the Russian Federation.

Thus, any documents which are presented to support the visa application that come from other countries, do not have any significance if they are not original and legalized for the forms of using; each of such documents must be accompanied by the certified translation in Italian which must confirm the original.

It is necessary to fill in and print out the form of income source below.


Taking into account the present restrictions on use of the Russian credit and debit cards abroad and international currency transfers from the Russian Federation to the European Union, which followed the crisis between Russia and Ukraine, it is necessary to prove that you are really able to use the indicated economic resources (income) on the territory of Italy.

6.  Documents proving availability of appropriate lodging at the place of elective residence.

Rent contract or certificate of ownership for real estate in Italy in the place where the applicant is going to settle.


7. Deposit slip from the bank as proof of payment of the Consular fee (Banca Intesa) For details…
Visa type “D” – 116 euro (no exemptions from visa fee)

8. National passport (original and copy of page with a photograph and page with registration)

9. An explanatory letter in English or Italian outlining the motivations for constant residence in Italy

10. Copy and original of marriage or birth certificate if applying for family members (spouse, children)

11. Consent for processing the personal data For details…

Please note that for minor applicants traveling without one of the parents, it is necessary to provide a notarized consent form for permanent residence (original and copy) and a copy of the internal passport (pages with personal data and registration) of the parent giving consent.

The processing period – 90 days.

Please be advised that VMS service fee is required to be paid after submission of the documents this amount is not included in the visa fees it is an additional fee. For more information please click on the link.

The Consulate General of Italy reserves the right to demand any additional documents.